Winter is the best time to plant. Bruxelles Mobilité is taking the opportunity to place 1,150 additional trees along the roads and to continue its program of greening public spaces.
The 1,150 trees that will be planted this autumn and winter are in addition to some 35,000 trees that already exist along the regional roads of Brussels. For example, workers are busy planting some 150 trees along the Bourgetlaan, between the Jules Bordetlaan and the regional border, 90 along the Bergensesteenweg, 90 along the Ring …
Elke Van den Brandt, Minister of Mobility and Public Works: “Green makes us happy and keeps us healthy. This year, we are providing an additional € 2 million to replace gray in the city with green. There are many possibilities: more trees in the streets, wooded squares, pocket parks… Our big project consists in bringing together all these small projects to soften our streets and plant them on a large scale. “
In addition to these plantations, Bruxelles Mobilité has been implementing many local projects since autumn 2020 that increase the soil’s water permeability and improve the management of stormwater runoff.
“I am delighted with these new plantations, which are essential to fight against global warming on our scale and improve the quality of life of all Brussels residents. The trees contribute to natural cooling, reducing the air to 8 ° C in a heat wave. Can cool off and water management. This makes it more pleasant to stay in Brussels. We have the ambition to continue on this path so that all Brussels residents can reconnect with nature, ”added the Minister of the Environment, Alain Maron.
Some recent projects:
- Koninginnelaan, Van Praetlaan, René Henrysquare: dolomite at the foot of trees replaced by earth and planting of low plants;
- Jamblinne de Meuxplein: planting of shrubs, relocation of the compost area and hardening of the paths;
- Monolith roundabout (Stallelaan) and Staccioli roundabout (Vorsterielaan): replacement of cobblestones with earth and plants.
Other projects are being implemented or will start soon:
- Van Volxemlaan: enlargement of the planting holes and softening of the bulges on the sidewalks;
- Bossaertlaan: plantation of traffic islands;
- la Beaulieulaan: part of the central reserve with paving stones (130m²);
- Mettewielaan: expansion of 20 planting holes and planting of perennials;
- Edmond Van Nieuwenhuyselaan (Demey metro side): development of a small park.
The Frans Van Kalkenlaan is a good example of greening. Until the end of February, interventions are planned to soften a total area of 1,100 m² in order to improve the conditions for tree growth, increase and green the permeable zone and improve biodiversity. A long green strip connecting the tree planting pits separates the cycle path from the road and there will be a large triangular border with plants.
Emmanuelle Ghilain of the Plantations Unit of Bruxelles Mobilité adds that “this space will be transformed into a water infiltration zone using an innovative system of copings which collect rainwater for the plants”.
“Food expert. Unapologetic bacon maven. Beer enthusiast. Pop cultureaholic. General travel scholar. Total internet buff.”