There is a way to stay intact from the corn plate to the boob. The bright yellow kernels found in our favorite summer dishes in the bathroom after hours – do not seem to be digested. How does corn survive in the digestive system? More importantly, should you eat even food that is hard to digest?
It turns out that your digestive system works more than you think, so do not skip corn yet. Andrea Watson, a nutritionist at the University of Nebraska-Lincoln, says the yellow kernels in your flower are actually the outer coating of the corn kernel.
Corn kernels are seeds that carry valuable genetic material. The key to seed survival is the waxy, yellow outer coating, which protects the genetic material from the weather, pests and transport. The fact that it is difficult to break is actually suitable for the plant. The outer coating is rigid for its elasticity Fiber Called cellulose, it does not have the right enzymes or intestinal bacteria for humans to digest.
Related: Does sugar make children hyper?
Watson told LiveScience that even glowing animals, such as cattle, which are best at digesting cellulose, cannot always fully digest corn. Although cattle do not eat the same sweet and tender corn that we do (they do eat hard, mature corn that can be stored for a long time), they also show whole kernels in their dung. Researchers have done a poor job of selecting extracted kernels and analyzing their nutrient content. “It turns out [the kernels] It’s been a little bit digestible, ”Watson said.
The good news is that cellulose contains only about 10% of corn, Watson said. Therefore, the other 90% is effective nutrition. Corn is a good source of dietary fiber, starch and antioxidants Carotenoids, Giving vegetables like corn and carrots their stunning colors. However, according to one step, corn has fewer carotenoids than the regular serving of leafy greens 2019 Tufts University Report.
There is a way to further digest corn and it will completely disappear from your bud: Processing. “The more you process it, the easier it can be digested,” Watson said. This applies to both humans and animals. Grinding, wet grinding, cooking – every processing step breaks down the fiber molecules that are a little more difficult to digest, he said.
In fact, most of the corn you eat is processed. The Tufts University report estimates that every American uses 160. (70 kg) of corn per year. The majority of that corn is not hard to digest soaked kernels, but corn is soft tortillas, chips, popcorn and – large – High fructose corn syrup.
Easy to digest, however, should not be confused with healthy. Nutritional facts are similar to those of common processed corn products Corn oil And High fructose corn syrup, Losing beneficial fiber and nutrients during processing. The corn kernels in your flower are odd, but they are not bad for your health. In fact, it is a sign that you are eating corn in its healthy forms. Watson’s best advice is to avoid looking at whole kernels in the bathroom: chew carefully.
First published in Live Science.
“Food expert. Unapologetic bacon maven. Beer enthusiast. Pop cultureaholic. General travel scholar. Total internet buff.”