- At a campaign meeting in Michigan on Saturday, President Donald Trump, co. Gretchen criticized Whitmer’s COVID-19 restrictions, prompting the crowd to chant “Lock her up.”
- Trump responded to the crowd’s slogan, “Lock everyone up.”
- These comments came a week later The FBI says a right-wing militant plot to kidnap Whitmer has failed.
- Whitmer responded on Twitter, “This is rhetoric that endangers the lives of me, my family, and other government officials. We are trying to save the lives of our fellow Americans.”
- Visit Business Insider’s homepage for more stories.
At a campaign meeting in Michigan on Saturday, President Donald Trump, co. The FBI said it had foiled a right-wing militant plot to kidnap him.
Trump responded to the slogan by saying, “Raise all the locks.”
Ora Trophy tool (cAcc) October 17, 2020a
Whitmer took to Twitter to respond.
“This is the rhetoric that has endangered me, my family and the lives of other government officials while trying to save the lives of our fellow Americans,” he said. “It must stop.”
Authorities announced on October 8 that 13 men had been charged in connection with the case Conspiracy to overthrow the state government by kidnapping Whitmer.
Federal prosecutors said the plan involved several months of planning, including monitoring the governor’s holiday home and making bombs.
Whitmer already exists Criticized the president’s response to the kidnapping conspiracy, When initially raised concerns about his safety, said his administration “did nothing”.
He faced backlash from the president and other Republican legislators for responding to the COVID-19 epidemic. In May, Armed protesters landed in the Michigan capital To oppose the governor’s statewide lockout. At the time, Trump was calling his supporters “LIBERATE MICHIGAN” in a tweet.