After the rise in Govt-19 cases last month, the European country has decided to embark on a massive search to test everyone over the age of 10. Named the “Collective Responsibility”, the project was the first large-scale blanket test in Europe.
More than 1% of the participants tested positive, for a total of about 38,359, according to the project’s official website.
The project was first launched on October 23 in Orava and Bartezov, two regions with the highest number of Govt-19 cases in the country. Approximately 141,000 people in the pilot’s three days, and 91% of those eligible, were tested in both regions.
In other parts of the country, the test took place simultaneously on Saturday and Sunday. The government encouraged everyone over the age of 10 to participate in the volunteer program. Exemptions were given to people over 65, those who spend too much time at home, people with disabilities, cancer patients, people with immune deficiencies and other vulnerable groups.
Mike Tildesley, an epidemiological modeling expert at the University of Warwick and a UK government scientific adviser, said long-term effective mass testing could be used as an alternative to locking in to control the spread of the disease.
“However, it is important to realize that just because someone is testing negative, it does not mean that they will get rid of the infection after a few days,” he said. “Therefore any mass testing strategy should be carried out at regular intervals (every few days) to allow for an effective strategy and some locking action.”
The government said it was considering holding a second round of mass testing later this month, but no decision had been made yet.
The Slovak army is responsible for the test campaign, which will send 40,463 personnel to 5,000 test sites across the country, including 14,500 health workers and 6,319 soldiers.
Those who test negative will no longer have to comply with strict regulations until they can prove their negative status through an official certificate. Those who have tested positive should now be isolated – at home or in one of the dozens of designated hotels across the country.
Slovakia’s Prime Minister Igor Madovic on Sunday praised those involved in the event. “Village and city mayors, government employees, village or city representatives, veterans, state, city and local police, firefighters and paramedics, health workers, volunteers and all of you, well-wishers, those who did your part this weekend and most of us We are determined to fight for the health of the victims, ”Madovic said in a Facebook post.
Madovic said masks will continue to be mandatory in all public areas in Slovakia. Other measures, such as the ban on mass gatherings, will remain in place after the mass tests are completed.
Slovakia, which has been in effect since October 1, will also remain in an official state of emergency. The country has so far reported 61,829 cases and 219 deaths.