The 2020 Great American Beer Festival is no different from the one founded in 1982, thanks to the epidemic that forced the cancellation of the country’s largest beer extravaganza. However, this does not prevent the event’s signature beer competition, one of the most valuable in the country, from happening.
Colorado put on an admirable display, winning 26 medals, including eight gold. Golan’s Cannonball Creek Brewing Co., the state’s biggest winner, won a gold for its featherweight pale ale and two bronzes for Vladimir Brutin, as well as Mex Lager, which featured the experimental India light all and international style cream all. , Respectively.
“Featherweight was the first beer we won a medal for eight years ago,” said Jason Stengel, co-owner and general manager. “I’m proud of all of us, proud of my colleagues, my partner and our breweries. This is something we are all proud of.”
Denver Beer Co. Presented with two awards: a gold for Amburana Dream, a wooden aged imperial porter in its Arvada location, and a silver for another wooden aged beer Amburana Graham Cracker Porter.
Colorado also dominated the American-style sour variety, where Golden’s New Terrain Brewing Co. Fear won the silver medal for Mirage and Ford Collins’ New Belgium Brewing Co. Its sour won bronze for the IPA.
“With everything going on by 2020, Colorado distilleries will be able to produce even more world-class beer,” said Shawny Adelson, managing director of the Colorado Brewers Guild. “It’s wonderful to see some people who have never won an award before ascending the steps – Sanidas, Seatstock, Living the Dream – which shows our diversity in terms of size and amazing beer brewing ability.”
Over a three-week period, the judges assessed more than 8,800 beers across the country while wearing face shields and physically away, but it is clear that the epidemic played a role. More than 1,700 beer makers entered the competition this year, up from nearly 2,300 in 2019.
Last year, Colorado Liquor won 40 medals From the competition.
Here are other Colorado winners from Friday’s awards ceremony listed by category, liquor, city and beer name.
- Fruit Wheat Beer – Avery Broing Co., Boulder, Liligoi Kepolo
- Wood- and barrel-aged strong beer – Denver Beer Co., Arvada, Amburana dream
- American Amber Locker – Whippy Browing, Longmond, Vauxhall Vienna
- German style Mersen – Irwin Broing Co., Crested Butt, Amber’s Locker-Amber Locker
- American style pale ale – Cannonball Creek Brewing Co., Golden, Featherweight Pale All
- Juicy or Hussey Bale Alley – Blue Moon Brewing Co., Denver, Moon Hayes
- Irish style Red Alley – Mirror Image Browing Co., Frederick, Belfire Irish Red
- German style Altpier – Red Leg Broving Co., Colorado Springs, Howitzer Amber
- Field Beer – Dry Dock Distillation Company-Northern Dock, Aurora, Coconut Flies Parlivine
- Chili Beer – Colorado Liquor, Denver, Boblano tablets
- Historical Beer – Seed alcohol, Denver, Seed Stone Groatser
- American-Belgo style alley – Rate Beerworks, Denver, dear
- American Style Sour Alley – New Landscaping Company., Golden, Mirage
- Mixed-Culture Brett Beer – Sanidas Browing Co., Boulder, Teluge
- Wood- and barrel-aged beer – Denver Beer Co., Denver, Amburana Graham Cracker Porter
- German style Pilsner – Frost Brewing Co., Denver, Frost Pills
- American style strong pastel ale – Comrade Brewing Company., Denver, Super Power IPA
- American style amber / red alley – Juni Street Broving Co., Denver, Justin Easy Going Amber
- Scottish style alley – Goat Patch Broving Co., Colorado Springs, It Takes a Trip Red All
- Fruit Wheat Beer – Storm peak brewing company., Steamboat Springs, Afternoon Delight
- Herbal and Spicy Beer – Living the Dream Broking Co., Littleton, Powder Run
- Experiment India Pale Alley – Cannonball Creek Brewing Co., Golden, Vladimir Brutin
- American Style Sour Alley – New Belgium Brewing Co., Fort Collins, Sour IPA
- American Style Cream – Cannonball Creek Brewing Co., Let’s talk about Golden, Mex
- International Pale Alley – Our mutual friend brewing company., Denver, Inner Light
- Thick – The Post Broving Co., Lafayette, Dry Stout
“Explorer. Devoted travel specialist. Web expert. Organizer. Social media geek. Coffee enthusiast. Extreme troublemaker. Food trailblazer. Total bacon buff.”